Adult and Family Education Programs
The Trust recognizes the importance of parents’ success in strengthening families – and strengthening youth outcomes. District of Columbia parents can improve their reading skills by enrolling in adult and family education programs offered throughout the city.
The Trust’s adult and family education team is comprised of four Literacy Specialists who are managed by Lisa Rucker, Manager of Literacy Program Monitoring and Professional Development. This team works in collaboration with the Office of the State Superintendent of Education Department of Adult and Family Education (OSSE AFE) to:
- Offer professional development and to the District’s adult educators;
- Provide on-site monitoring of the adult and family education programs offered by OSSE AFE sub-grantees;
- Provide technical assistance to OSSE AFE sub-grantees and community- and faith-based organizations;
- Record data about literacy improvement in these programs in LACES (Literacy Adult Community Education System) and analyze data for the OSSE AFE and policymakers; and
- Manage the Adult and Family Education Community Resource Center.
The Adult and Family Education Community Resource Center offers numerous materials and resources for DC organizations providing adult and family education services to enhance their ability to deliver literacy instruction to children, parents and providers of early childhood care and education. The Center, which opened in April 2010 at the Trust’s offices, offers:
- Books for children, youth and adults;
- Instructional materials for early childhood providers ;
- Instructional materials for adult education and family education providers;
- Instructional workbooks for adults;
- Instructional materials for parents to use with their children;
- Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS) instruments; and
- Other instructional supplies and resources.
Organizations who are grantees of OSSE AFE and the Trust may place online orders for resources starting May 1. Resources are distributed based on availability. Requests from other organizations will be honored based on availability.